You will know when you have had enough of being a caterpillar and want to become a butterfly. For some people the catalyst is a birth, a death, a windfall, illness, a big birthday, or an inspirational idea which simply cannot be ignored. For some people it is a push e.g. redundancy, for others, a pull to freedom.
For me, it is about honouring my values; freedom, choice, variety and learning amongst others.
Here are some common scenarios for rethinking your career and choosing a portfolio career
- You have had a baby and want work to fit around your family
- You are experiencing the ‘black hole’ of the on-line recruitment market!
- Conventional employment is making you bored and frustrated
- You have sold a business, come back from holiday and are now feeling restless
- You have developed a business idea that you need time to get off the ground
- You are an expat and want to explore new avenues
- You do something in your spare time e.g. dressmaking and friends ask if you would make them something
- You have taken early retirement and wish you hadn’t
- Someone close to you has passed away and it has made you re-evaluate what you want out of life
- Work has been making you stressed and ill
- You have celebrated a landmark birthday e.g. 30, 40, 50
- You have moved with your partner’s job to a different city/country
- Your children have flown the nest to travel/to go to university
- You have got divorced and want to change many things and create a new life for yourself
- You have been passed over for promotion/pay rise and have had enough
- You have been made redundant and have a lump sum to launch a new venture/financial cushion
- You have inherited some money which gives you choice
- You have returned from a career sabbatical and know there is no going back!
- You have had enough of the corporate rat race and want to make a difference
- You are returning to work after having children and are experiencing unconscious bias