What is a portfolio career?
A portfolio career is when you have an eclectic mix of different paid and unpaid work strands rather than just doing one thing for one company. The shape can be whatever you want and you can change it over time as your needs change e.g. life stage and the market needs change. Here are some examples.
- Freelance projects, part time job, volunteering, non-executive director
- Three non-executive director positions, trustee, PHD student
- 2 part time 6 month work contracts followed by travelling the world for 6 months
- Evening study, freelance projects, on-line business operated from home
- Personal shopping business, freelance legal consultancy
- App business, locum freelance work, subscription course, key note speaker
- Articles (paid), events (unpaid), deputy district judge, part time lecturer
- Workshop facilitator, author, dog walking business
- AIRBNB owner, property development, part time estate agent
- Membership network, freelance strategist
- Part time job, retainer for a small business, freelance conference organiser
- Executive coach, course designer, non-executive director
- Child minder, cupcake party host, babysitter
- Respite foster care, dog nanny, franchisee
- Summer camps for children, Winter skiing chalet host
The possibilities are endless! What combination would be your ideal? What is essential when you have a portfolio career is to have in-depth self-awareness, a good high quality network, to look regularly at trends, make time to think, review and plan and to keep on investing in your skills and marketability. You need to have a distinctive and compelling personal brand to pull the different strands together. Ours is Talent Liberator.
A portfolio career can get very busy so it is vital to start as you mean to go on; set up good systems from the outset, have a good support system around you, both personally and professionally and utilize technology to be as efficient as possible.
Download our free skills report to identify your transferable skills and to see how you could create your portfolio career.